Sunday, May 06, 2007

Fontgombault: new book




I am always greatly flattered by authors giving me copies of their books hot of the press, this evening I was given a copy of a new book, a translation by one of my parishioners, Neville Hinton, who lives in Rome and Brighton, of "The Abbey of Our Lady of Fontgombault", I haven't yet had much chance to read the text but the pictures are beautiful. Americans will know of Fontgombault as the motherhouse of Clear Creek, Oklahoma.
Fontgombault was the host to the Fontgombault Conference on the liturgy, which was presided over by Cardinal Ratzinger, I am very impressed, that his presence is not mentioned in the guide but a fleeting visit by the Blessed Charles de Foucauld is, he was impressed "by a lay brother he met that day: he interpretted his darned and patched habit as a call inviting him, too, to imitate Christ's own extreme poverty."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a link for the book on Fontgombault? It's a beautiful abbey. Thank you.

Fr Ray Blake said...

As far as I know it is only availabel from the Abbey

Abbaye Notre-Dame
F - 36220 FONTGOMBAULT
Tél. : 02 54 37 12 03
Fax : 02 54 37 12 56

or if you are in the States, from Clear Creek

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...