Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ex ore infantium et lactantium

Father Peter 1943 Catholic Extension Cutouts Booklet
I was amused, as I often am by Fr Hunwicke, who sometime ago hoped his grandson might grow into pedantry.

I love the pedantry of children, one of our children complained quietly to me that a visiting priest didn't say the Traditional Mass right, "He said, "miserere nobis" the third time in the Agnus Dei, instead of "dona nobis pacem". The same six year old went off  and learnt the Alma Redemptoris when someone mention that it, rather than the Salve, should be sung during the Christmas season.

A friend gave one of his 11 year old servers some Fr Peter cards for Christmas within few days it was all cut out and he was 'playing' Benediction and Missa Cantata in his bedroom, probably with reference to Fortescue. It was his favourite Christmas present.

I was sent photographs but I am having difficulty putting them online.




6 comments:

Liam Ronan said...

Dear Father Blake,

For my part I say "Habemus papam!"...presupposing it wasn't a six-year-old female child of whom you referred.

Edifying.

JARay said...

What an inspiring read!
A friend of mine has a son who likes saying Mass. He has his own vestments which his mother made for him. It is wonderful that there are some small children who are still children and not small adults with all the electronic gadgets that their parents have.

Nicolas Bellord said...

I can remember as a child in the 1940s having similar cutouts where you change the different coloured vestments etc. Missals with lots of different coloured markers etc are fascinating to children. A sure cure for those who think the liturgy is boring.

NBW said...

I like the illustrations!

Pétrus said...

A future Master of Ceremonies in the making...

Unknown said...

Dear Father i followed a link to st sebastian only to find pictures and movie clip of a homo erotic stance i was quite shocked to see this.yours sincerely L Turner

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...